Can’t decide which CoQ10 supplement to use? This helpful guide will give you the leading names in CoQ10 Supplements as well as CoQ10 benefits, and help you choose the best CoQ10.
Coenzyme Q10 is a substance approved by the US Food and Drug Administration for safe intake as a dietary and health supplement. This guide will walk you through the health benefits of CoQ10, the types of supplements available, proper dosage, and possible side effects so that you become better at discerning the best among available brands of CoQ10 supplements.
Best CoQ10 Benefits and uses
The University of Maryland Medical Center lists the following health benefits of Coenzyme Q10:
– Prevention of successive heart attacks;
– Can treat heart failure when combined with conventional medications;
– May lower blood pressure without significant side effects compared to beta-blockers (medication for high blood pressure);
– Improved blood sugar levels and may help people with diabetes;
– Prevents heart damage caused by chemotherapy;
– Helps strengthen the heart prior to any major surgeries, although some studies show that it counters the effect of blood-thinning medications; and
– Treats gum (periodontal) diseases.
Leading CoQ10 Supplements
Coenzyme Q10 takes two forms. The first one, called ubiquinone, is the fully-oxidized form of Coenzyme Q10 which is responsible in the electron transport chain that powers and energizes every cell in the body. Ubiquinone is produced by our own body through a process called biosynthesis. The other form of CoQ10 is called ubiquinol, a fully-reduced form of CoQ10 that has antioxidant properties. The preferred form of CoQ10 supplement available in the market is ubiquinol, which has all the Coq10 benefits, but has a higher absorption rate, which results in increased levels of CoQ10 in the blood. As an antioxidant, it protects the body against free radicals that can damage the cells and contribute to various diseases.
CoQ10 supplements are sold in pressed tablets, powder-filled capsules, or oil-based gels. The following are some of the lbest CoQ10 Supplements that are reliable, safe, and proven effective:
1. Accel CoQ10 (Dr. Sears’ Primal Force® Accel CoQ10) – Accel CoQ10 is a high absorption CoQ10 developed by Dr. Al Sears in partnership with Dr. Mae of Japan. Each soft gel contains ubiquinol and tocotrienols (considered the rarest form of Vitamin E) to fight against the signs of aging both inside and out.
2. Mercola Advanced Nutrition® CoQ10 – Dr. Joseph Mercola developed the Mercola Advanced Nutrition CoQ10 in two forms: the Ubiquinone CoQ10 Supplement, which boosts your body’s energy, and the Ubiquinol-based CoQ10 Supplement which acts as an antioxidant for a healthier you.
3. Doctor’s Best® High Absorption CoQ10 with Bioperine – this brand comes in capsules that contain vegetarian CoQ10 and bioperine, an herbal extract that promotes better absorption of nutrients in the digestive tract.
4. Solanova Q-Gel® CoQ10 – this brand makes use of a unique process called Bio-Solv® which helps in producing high absorption ubiquinol that is both oil-soluble and water-soluble (natural CoQ10 is water insoluble).
5. Life Extension Super Ubiquinol® CoQ10 – Life Extension has Enhanced Mitochondrial Support™ as part of its ubiquinol formulation that doubles the levels of CoQ10 in the mitochondria, the part of the cell where Coenzyme Q10 originates.
Each product differs in its dose and additional formulation. For best results, compare the products’ serving size, formulation, and claims. When searching for the best CoQ10 supplement, take into account your doctor’s advice especially if you have a pre-existing health condition. This is to make sure that the CoQ10 supplement and its dosage works well with the rest of your medication.